But boy was I wrong. This was the day that my high school photo teacher would tell me about "A great opportunity".
"Great opportunity" my ass. More like the beginning of the end for my soul and the last bit of "human" in me. The so called great opportunity was a job at a chain electronics store. I have to admit it sounded awesome at the time. I was sixteen and would be able to make lots of money selling Digital Cameras something, I really enjoyed learning and playing with. But after a few weeks of working at what I now call the first layer of hell. I would learn to passionately hate... well at least for the time I worked there.
When ever I close my eyes and ask myself. How did I end up here? I remember the hiring manager at for the sake of keeping those involved anonymous, well call purgatory.(so what if I've held on to that name for a long time trying to find the perfect time to use it...) Had this hungry look on his eyes as I signed the "Welcome Team Member" paper work. When I finished and handed it in, he flashed me an impish smile, he welcomed and thanked me. I know understand why he really thanked me. I had just added my soul to pit of retail.
I still remember the training videos, and a feeling as if every once of happiness being sucked out of me as the hours and hours of videos progressed.
...and that's the day I traded my soul for a little cash.

No comments:
Post a Comment